STEP 1 VIEW THE FOLLOWING LECTURE VIDEOS
STEP 2 READ ABOUT REVISION
STEP 3 COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITY
Answer the checklist questions about your Writing Project 4 Rough Draft. Please use complete and detailed sentences.
- Read your draft aloud.
- Open your document in Word.
- Leave in-text comments on the draft. I expect 2 comments on every major part/idea/point. Please also include a few comments on grammar or sentence structure.
- Finally, answer these questions in complete sentences:
- Where do you see flaws in your argument?
- What is your revision plan?
- What are your proud of?
- What needs to be improved?
Essy is:Environmental Activism
- today, development is at the center stage, with economies interested in how they can have significant economic influence. For a fact, change is inevitable and positive change is even commendable. Still, we must also accept that change comes with positive and negative consequences, which all need to be considered. Sustainability sets the bridge between development at the moment while considering the future and human needs and the ecosystem as a whole. Environmentalists receive significant backlash for opposing certain human activities to preserve the environment and ensure sustainability, but the course is priceless. Paul Watson put his life at the forefront with aggressiveness and determination to protect marine life, an effort to preserve biodiversity while ensuring sustainability. He made aggressive confrontations with fishermen who targeted whales together with his eco-vigilante group to protect aquatic life. I seek to use my knowledge to influence opinion toward environmental conservation and preservation of endangered species in our community to ensure biodiversity and sustainability.With aggressiveness and determination to protect marine life, Paul Watson put his life at the forefront. According to Kenigsber (2019), Paul Watson is a different environmentalist. His story has been captured in documentaries of maritime activism, where he uses confrontation on boats he believed were involved in poaching and ramming them. Watson is considered determined and aggressive because of his form of activism, one of a kind outside the world, whereby, while activists are assumed to be considerate, he went all out to condemn the attack on marine life by violently attacking the poachers. While activists may be on a good course, sometimes it may take some despicable moves since the offenders may not see the need for change being instigated. It does not take only the voice but the courage, consistency, and determination in an activist to help the instigators of a social evil to realize what needs to be done rightWhile Watson’s action was of good course of preserving the environment, it was a course full of contention, dilemma, and violence, but he managed to organize his team to drive the activism course. Tracing his roots from an eastern Canadian fishing village, Watson started his activism at the tender age of 11, when he realized the beavers he used to swim with were no more. Growing up, he organized his course by starting a conservation group in 1977 named Sea Shepherd, which sought illegal fishermen and violently stopped them before acting (Watson and Shapiro). However, his actions were met with great criticism, as he was branded an eco-terrorist rather than an environmental activist, which was his true course and attracted Japanese authority’s attention. However, Watson was determined to his course and grew a thick skin despite the controversies surrounding him, sticking to the belief that short-term fish sales earned fish sellers incentives while pushing certain species to extinction.Watson’s argument on the short-term benefits gained by fish sellers and its influence on the extinction of certain species intrigues me a lot. Considering the rising human activities today aimed at economic development and growth while turning our backs on biodiversity, sustainability, and endangered species. The rising population, urbanization, and industrialization lead to adverse effects, which threaten biodiversity and sustainability. Deforestation leads to the destruction of wild habitats. In the process, some rare species are attacked, leading to their extinction, and some are left with no place to live, exposing them to harsh environmental conditions and extinction. Pollution of water bodies from human and industrial wastes also endangers marine and interferes with the sanity of nature and water bodies by littering the water system. Boosting economic growth is of essence until we view it from the adverse effects we expose our future to while valuing short-term returns highly. Therefore, I would like to be a part of the course that would help open the world to see the real effects of short-term returns on our future and understand the significance of sustainable initiatives. Environmental activism is often misunderstood, and activists are often bashed and strongly opposed to backing down from their course since they touch on issues that directly impact economic growth, which calls for determination, courage, and dedication. Without determination, courage, and dedication, Watson would not have been able to drive his plan to help the public understand what he truly meant.In an interview, Watson said, “I don’t care if I put people off. After we sank those whaling ships in Iceland, half their fleet, John Frizell from Greenpeace came up and told me that what I did was reprehensible and irresponsible and an embarrassment to the movement. And I said, ‘Well, you know John – So?’… We sank the whaling ships for the whales.” (Kenigsberg)Without determination to a course, courage and dedication to driving change in our community may be a challenge since not everyone welcomes change. Even when members of his team were opposed to some of his actions, Watson stood firm and had to believe in his uncomfortable truth.Therefore, in my course as an environmental change agent in our community, I will vow to stay courageous, dedicated, and determined to realize the desired goal. I will achieve this by voicing my concerns through my social media platforms and informal campaigns amongst members of my community to create awareness of the hazards of our actions on biodiversity, sustainability, and nature in general. Like Watson, I will stay determined and courageous so the community can understand the need for social change in human activities.