help me learn.
You are covering a number of important sport-related legal issues this week, including Constitutional Law, Contract Law, and Drug Testing.
After reading this week’s information on freedom of speech/expression (1st Amendment) and sports, share your thoughts on the story below regarding a high school basketball tournament banning t-shirts reading “I Can’t Breathe” from participating teams, stemming from the controversial death of Eric Garner at the hands of the NYPD:
- Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/12/28/i-cant-breathe-t-shirts-banned-from-high-school-basketball-tournament/Links to an external site.
- PDF: ‘I can’t breathe’ T-shirts banned from high school basketball tournament – The Washington Post.pdfDownload ‘I can’t breathe’ T-shirts banned from high school basketball tournament – The Washington Post.pdf
1) Is this a violation of these student-athlete’s Constitutional rights?
2) What do you think about the tournament director’s reasoning for the banning?
Make sure you review the Tinker v. Des Moines case in your textbook (p.485) before answering this question.
3) Should all high school athletes be submitted to random drug testing? Why or why not?