Causal Argument Research Paper
In this class, we’ve read a variety of essays on different topics ranging from predictive advertising to gender roles in the workplace. You may pick a topic related to an issue we have read about this semester or your own topic that follows the assignment:
Write an essay in which you analyze, explore, and prove the causes behind a trend in modern culture related to your topic. Include the ramifications of your argument or the solution to the problem.
Your topic can be based on something we have discussed/read in class this semester such as predictive advertising, parenting styles, campus speech, reparations, language and identity, gender dynamics in the workplace, outsourcing, or media literacy. If you prefer, you can pick a recent casual analysis topic that we haven’t read about in this class. These are general ideas–you must narrow and customize your topic. Your causal analysis has to be current and relevant. You must create a topic unique to this class, not one used for another assignment or class.
• Craft a causal analysis thesis that makes an argument about a limited topic
• Present and support a position with a variety of evidence types
• Address any counterarguments
• Avoid logical fallacies
• Integrate and cite at least 6 sources (5 of these must be peer-reviewed scholarly articles)
• Works Cited page
• See the course rubric for more grading criteria
• At least 8 pages (minimum)