The leadership paper should be no longer than 7 pages, double-spaced, APA 7th edition format. The paper is based on the following:
You are to select and view ONE of the below movies or TV shows:
1. Darabont F. (1994). The Shawshank Redemption. Columbia Pictures
2. Osborne, M & Stevenson, J. (2008) Kung Fu Panda. Paramount Pictures
3. Miller, B. (2011). Moneyball. Columbia Pictures
4.McKay, A. (2015). The Big Short. Paramount Pictures.
5. Game of Thrones (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference). This one has many excellent leaders to write about.
6. The Sons of Anarchy (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference). There are a lot of great struggles for leadership and control in this movie.
7. The Walking Dead, (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference). I highly encourage you to use this series, it has numerous excellent examples.
8. Peaky Blinders (again you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference).
A. After viewing the movie or TV show, select one of the supervisors (leaders).
B. Discuss THREE supervisory techniques that they used, using specific examples from the movie or TV episode. Do not spend too much effort explaining the background or details of the scenario, just get to the point on how they lead (or don’t).
C. Make sure to discuss the following topics:
i. Which of the supervisory techniques were effective? Why?
ii. Which supervisory techniques were not effective? Why?
iii. Pick one scene and discuss what you would have done differently as a supervisor and why.
iv. How does a high-stress environment affect supervisory techniques, as compared or a less stressful environment?
v. What supervisory trait do you most relate to and why? You should include a personal account from your life.
vi. Why do supervisors fail if they are using a “textbook” technique? Explain using the scenes from the movie/show or your own personal life to enhance your explanation.
If you have already seen the movie or TV show episode, you may “skim” it to refresh yourself.
If you do not want to watch any of the above movies or TV shows, you must email me by week 6 for an alternate assignment. Here are some ideas for alternate assignments:
Alternate topics include Leaders in the News; Corporate Leadership Failures/Successes and/or Government Failures/Successes, Leaders in Politics, Visionary Leaders.
You should have a title page, some pages of body content, and the last page should be your paper’s references. If you have a title page and reference page that leaves you with 5 pages for the body.
Use at least 3 references for your paper. They should be articles/sources that support your paper.
Your paper should contain no more than 20% direct citations or quotations. That means 80% should be your own analysis, thoughts, and ideas.
Please do not wait until the end of week seven to ask if you have questions about the assignment.