Policy practice refers to the skills and strategies of those who seek to modify policies at all levels of social work practice, whereas policy advocacy describes efforts to change policies to gain greater resources and opportunities for powerless, disadvantaged, and oppressed groups (Jansson, 2019).
In an essay of 1,250-1,500 words, discuss why it is important for social workers to embrace a policy leadership role.
This is to be an integrated essay, with an introduction and thesis statement, body, conclusion, citations and a list of references. Cite a minimum of three scholarly peer-reviewed sources in your essay and include a list of references. The essay and all citations and references are to be in APA format. In developing the essay, address the following prompts:
- Explain what constitutes a policy leadership role within the field of social work.
- Explain what can happen if social workers fail to exert policy leadership, allowing others with less commitment to client well-being and less dedication to improving the human condition to shape the social welfare and human service delivery systems.
- Explain how policies at all levels of a social welfare system can impact service accessibility and service delivery. Provide specific examples. Refer to Social Work Disposition #12: Standard: Social Workers’ Ethical Responsibilities to the Broader Society when responding to this prompt.
- Explain why policy advocacy can be a unifying theme for the social work profession.
- Describe the intersecting, multi-level roles (micro, mezzo, and macro) of a policy practitioner centered around analyzing social problems, developing policy change solutions and strategies, formulating and implementing policies and related programs, and evaluating the impact of policies and programs.
- Use specific examples to illustrate how a social worker might bring about policy change at each level of social work practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
GCU Benchmark Information
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency and professional standards:
5.2: Assess how social welfare and economic policies impact the delivery of and access to social services. [EPAS 5]
This assignment is informed by the following EPAS Standard:
5: Engage in Policy Practice