Practice the trade of a historian and the process of researching and writing about art history.
You are expected to explore the role of an art historian by identifying and engaging with scholarly resources. You will be asked to research content that is related to the topics we have talked about in class. You will do this by utilizing the library and other such research tools available to you.
Once you have identified your theme, take some time to explore the library and become intimate with the journal material available to you online.
You will choose one scholarly article to review and write about in a well formulated essay where you identify the thesis, purpose, and relation to the topics discussed in class.
Further, you will be asked to reflect personally with the article and discuss how the subject explored in the article relates to some aspect of your life. This section of your essay calls for personal reflection.
S T R U C T U R E & C O N T E N T
Include all of the components outlined below.
- Introduce the reader to your theme and the scholarly article you will be reviewing.
- Include essential information about the article including author, title, date, publication, and where it was found.
- Provide a general art historical context for your topic of discussion.
- Articulate a clear, original and persuasivethesis that introduces the reader to your purposes in writing your essay.
- Identify why the article speaks to you on a personal level.
- Describe what the main thesis of the article is – its subject, layout, purpose and the elements and principles of art that the author uses most prominently.
- Clearly explain how this article connects to your selected theme.
- Discuss the work in terms of its genre, historical and religious context.
- Identify how the overall theme of the article reflects some aspect of your life, whether academic, professional, or personal.
- Expand on your thesis and make judgements (these are informed but subjective) about the treatment of the theme in the article.
- Thoroughly discuss how the treatment of the theme in the article resonates or doesn’t resonate with your own ideology or worldview.
Works Cited & Academic Writing
- Any ideas that you include that are not your own (including those presented in your text and in my illustrated slideshows) need to be referenced in Chicago Manual of Style format. Please follow guidelines for citing sources parenthetically and create a separate works citedpage.
- Use proper grammar, sentence structure, punctuation and capitalization.
E X P E C T A T I O N S
Submission and Formatting
Submit your essay in Canvas in one of the following formats:
- uploaded as a Word file
- shared as a Google document (make sure that you have shared the document with me (File→Share→Type my email address)
This essay is worth 200 points
Number of Pages
Some students write concisely and others have a more elaborate writing style. The important thing is to communicate your ideas clearly. This essay should be approximately 4-6 pages in length. Let me know if you have questions.